The Growth Newsletter — #003
This newsletter curates marketing insights from Demand Curve’s community of thousands of founders and growth marketers. It keeps you up-to-date on growth tactics.
You have more SEO-worthy content than you realize.
Based on insights from Nima Gardideh of Pearmill. Lightly edited by Demand Curve with permission.
Your product documentation can double as SEO content. In fact, many things on your site can — beyond your blog. Consider this:
- When people Google for technical help and come across your product documentation, they learn how your product perfectly solves their problems. Problem-oriented traffic such as this often converts the best.
- The implication is that you shouldn’t overlook content marketing best practices across your documentation:
- Research the best keywords to use in your pages’ titles and headers.
- Insert a table of contents at the top of every page.
- Have an introductory paragraph explaining what the reader will get from reading the page.
- Prominently link to your product for those visitors who are interested in buying.
Which ad channels provide the highest ROI in 2019?
Sourced from Demand Curve’s training program data. Results are ranked in order of ROI, but note that this varies drastically (!!!) depending on your product, audience, average basket size, and other factors. Consider this hand-wavy, generalized data.
- Instagram — Best ROI
- Facebook mobile
- Google Shopping
- Facebook desktop
- Google Display Network
- Spotify — Worst ROI
Two cool things before we continue:
- Most marketing agencies are not good. If you're looking to hire a growth, ads, or content agency, we spent dozens of hours interviewing and curating good ones. We now have a list of agencies we trust. Go to demandcurve.com/agency if you’re looking to hire an agency within 30 days, and we’ll put you in touch with some (for no cost).
How do startups make their video ads?
Based on insights from Connor Mooney of Zestful plus Asher King Abramson of Demand Curve.
- SaaS and mobile apps: They often use Screenflow or TechSmith to record a 45 second timelapse of their in-app experience. Then they pair that recording with a professional voice over from VoiceBunny.
- Ecom business: They often create stop-motion animations of their product in action, for which they’ll hire an inexpensive animator through Upwork. Or, they’ll intercut stock footage from Shutterstock alongside footage of their product being used. They’ll use Animoto as their video editing tool and they’ll source product videographers through Thumbtack or Yelp.
- Some companies make animated explainer videos. One inexpensive way to make these is to pair a Fiverr animator with a professional voice over from VoiceBunny.
How can you send email campaigns that get opened by 100% of your mailing list?
Based on insights from Nick Selman, Fletcher Richman, and Wes Wagner. Compiled by Demand Curve.
- First, a few obvious pieces of advice for avoiding low open rates:
- Avoid spam filters by avoiding keywords commonly used in spam emails.
- Consider using email subjects (1) that are clearly descriptive and (2) look like they were written by a friend. Then A/B your top choices.
- Include the recipient’s name in your email body. This signals to spam filters that you do in fact know the recipient.
- Now, for the real advice: Let’s say 60% of your audience opens your mailing, how can you get the remaining 40% to open and read it too?
- First, wait 2 weeks to give everyone a chance to open the initial email.
- Next, export a list of those who haven’t opened. Mailchimp lets you do this.
- Important note: The reason many recipients don’t open your email is because it was sent to Spam, it was buried in Promotions, or it was insta-deleted because it looked like spam (but wasn’t). The goal here is to resuscitate these people. You have two options for doing so:
- (1) Duplicate the initial email then selectively re-send it to non-openers. This time, use a new subject (try a new hook) and downgrade the email to plain text: remove images and link tracking. De-enriching the email in this way can help bypass spam filters and the Promotions tab.
- (2) Alternatively, export your list of non-openers to a third-party email tool like Mailshake (or Mixmax).
- First, connect Mailshake to a new Gmail account on your company domain.
- Next, configure Mailshake to automatically dole out small batches of emails on a daily schedule. Let it churn through non-openers slowly so that Gmail doesn’t flag your account as a spammer.
- Emails sent through Mailshake are more likely to get opened than emails sent through Mailchimp. Why? Mailshake sends emails through your Gmail account, and Gmail-to-Gmail emails have a greater chance of bypassing Spam and Promotions folders, particularly if the sender doesn’t have a history of its emails being marked as spam.
Co-founder, FYI + KISSmetrics
VP of Growth, Imperfect Produce