The Growth Newsletter — #005
This newsletter curates marketing insights from Demand Curve’s community of thousands of founders and growth marketers. It keeps you up-to-date on growth tactics.
Improving cold email response rates
Based on insights from Neal O’Grady of Demand Curve.
If a cold email recipient has heard of you before they receive your email, their chance of converting increases. So, here’s a simple technique:
- Upload your prospects’ emails to an ad network.
- Run ads to those people for 2 weeks before sending your outbound email.
- These ads can essentially be content marketing for the purpose of building brand credibility.
- Once you reach out, prospects are more likely to have been exposed to your brand and to take you more seriously. You’ll sometimes hear, “Oh right. I’ve heard of you.”
How much does page speed actually matter for SEO?
Based on insights from Bernard Huang of Clearscope.
It doesn’t matter much. Slow loading speed is simply a negative signal. Meaning, if your site is really slow, you’ll be penalized in the rankings. But whether your site is fast or superfast is an over-optimization Google isn’t indexing on. Spend that optimization time writing better content instead.
Improving engagement for drip emails
Based on insights from Matt Sornson of Clearbit.
Personalizing your marketing emails increases conversion. But doing so at scale takes a lot of effort. Here’s how to get around that:
- Run lead generation ads to your blog posts and to other long-form content on your site. Then tag users based on the posts they’ve read. Plus, prompt them to fill out useful quizzes. Store their quiz answers.
- Push their engagement data into an automated emailing platform like Customer.io. And enrich their contact details with Clearbit to discover their job title and the industry they work in.
- Now you can send automated yet personalized drip emails based on a person’s role, company, and interests. This results in higher conversion rates. Show recipients you know who they are and what they care about, and you’ll seem a whole lot less like spam.
Most marketing agencies are not good
Demand Curve has a new, free matchmaking service for introducing your company to the correct growth agency for your needs. We only introduce you to agencies we’ve interviewed and vetted, so we significantly de-risk the process. If you’re ready to hire an agency, visit demandcurve.com/agency.
Marketing tools suggested by the community
- User research: Simon Lind recommends using Lookback.io to run remote user product interviews. This is helpful when you’re validating new features.
- Cold email: Mica Gomes recommends goodsalesemails.com for sourcing outbound email copy ideas.
- Competitor email research: Jeremy Cai recommends milled.com for seeing inside the emails of your competitors.
- Content writing: Julian Shapiro recommends Clearscope.co for writing blog posts that successfully rank for target keywords.
Do you have growth questions you want answered?
At 10AM PST today, Gustaf Alströmer (YC Partner) and Julian Shapiro from Demand Curve will listen to your growth problems and (hopefully) help you overcome them. We’re doing this for free as part of our webinar series:
- You can enroll here (go quickly): demandcurve.com/webinars
- You’re welcome to just spectate; no need to ask questions if you don’t want to.
- As always, it’s free.
We want to thank two members of our community who’ve been helping answer people’s questions:
- adbadger.com — Thanks, Michael! They help optimize and automate Amazon PPC Campaigns. They have a deal in our deals sheet.
- vinovest.com — Thanks, Anthony! Automated investing platform for fine wine.
Want to learn advanced growth? Demand Curve now has a less expensive self-serve course. See our homepage: demandcurve.com
Come say hello on Slack!
Co-founder, FYI + KISSmetrics
VP of Growth, Imperfect Produce