Growth Newsletter #064
Welcome to the 245 new marketers and founders who joined last week!
This week we're covering ecommerce navbars, Facebook creative testing, and pricing friction.
News and Links
We've got two new pieces of content for you this week—a fresh playbook and a new article on the Demand Curve blog.
- How to use personalization to grow in 2022. Personalization drives growth. But you can't deliver personalized experiences without accurate customer data. Our playbook covers how to collect and then leverage data to grow—all while respecting your customers' privacy.
- How to Grow Your Business with YouTube Ads. YouTube is a lucrative marketing channel—but only if you know how to create good video ads. In this post, we explain whether advertising on YouTube is right for your business, what ad formats are possible, and how to create effective video ads.
Tool recommendation: Fomo. Fomo increases conversions with live social proof notifications. It's the same psychology that was behind the last time you walked by that busy restaurant, got FOMO, and decided to go in. Fomo recreates this feeling by showing off product reviews, sales, subscriptions, traffic, and more to your website visitors. It's easy to set up, and DC members get 2 months off any paid plan here.
News that will make you a better marketer:
- Big Tech: Google plans to invest $9.5 billion in U.S. offices and data centers this year. Apple’s privacy protections will cost Facebook, Twitter, Snap, and YouTube $16 billion, with Facebook losing the lion’s share. Elon Musk’s attempted Twitter takeover continues.
- Social: Thanks to its newly improved search capabilities, you can now get better social conversation insights on Reddit. Following Facebook and Twitter’s lead, TikTok has started testing downvotes on comments. Also, new data on the best time to post on social media. (Spoiler: Mostly workday mornings.) Finally, how to optimize your video ads for TikTok, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat [infographic].
- Ads: Digital advertising revenue across all major channels increased 35.4% YOY in 2021. That includes digital OOH advertising, which grew by 49.6% in Q4. Google Ads’ latest interface upgrade saves time viewing and comparing data.
- Marketplaces: Beginning April 28, Amazon is charging its third-party sellers a 5% fuel and inflation surcharge.
- Customer research: Most consumers want to live a sustainable lifestyle—in fact, 79% are trying to reduce the amount of plastic they use. And if consumers could only receive customer support in one way for the rest of their lives, 49% would want humans on the phone.