Growth Newsletter #042
This newsletter curates growth insights from Demand Curve's community. It keeps you up-to-date on growth tactics.
This week we're covering product categories, critical email flows, and product customization.
Want to sponsor Demand Curve? Here's everything you need to know.
Exciting news—we're creating live growth workshops
We're hosting in-depth, advanced growth workshops on four awesome topics.
Click this link to see which. Fill out that survey to save your spot.
Each will be $490. We will likely make these courses within a few months!
This week's Insights
Test product categories in your header menu
Most ecommerce stores use one main navigation item, like ‘Products’ or ‘Shop’, as a dropdown for all of their product categories.
This can damage conversion.
When a customer arrives on your site, they’re immediately scanning for products. If it's not easy for them to find what they’re looking for, they’ll bounce.
Try this: Feature your product categories in your header menu. If you have dozens of categories, group them together to reduce friction. Once a customer feels that they are headed in the right direction (they’ve clicked a relevant category), they’ll feel better about continuing their search.
Worth testing: If you have one, clear, best-selling product, consider linking it directly in your header menu. It's likely that people visiting your site are coming specifically for your best-seller. They might have seen it in an ad or heard about it through word of mouth. Seeing it in your header menu is confirmation that it's worth clicking on.
Best practices for 4 critical email flows
Triggered emails typically convert better than broadcast emails. (It's reported that they drive 624% more conversions than broadcasts.)
Triggered emails are pre-written campaigns that trigger based on someone's engagement with your site or app.
4 trigger-based campaigns are more profitable than the rest. Here's how to get them right:
1. Welcome nurture: Welcome emails often get 4x more opens and 5x more clicks than your other promo emails.
- Include your brand's name in the From field (ex. Julian at Demand Curve)
- Remind them what benefits they can expect
2. Abandoned cart: This will likely be the most profitable email you'll ever send. Adding to cart shows massive buying intent.
- Over 70% of ecommerce carts are abandoned
- Create copy that answers: "Why buy now?"
3. New customer post-purchase: You've got your customer's undivided attention—get them excited.
- Tell them next steps and set expectations
- Validate they made the right decision
- Cross-sell accessories or complimentary products
4. Customer re-engagement: Each subsequent purchase increases your customer's lifetime value. And it's cheaper to re-engage existing customers than it is to acquire new ones.
- Share useful and relevant lifestyle content
- Mix-in special offers and seasonal sales
Use product customization to grow conversion
People place a higher value on things that they have a hand in creating. If you allow people to customize your product, they'll either convert at a higher rate, or pay more for it.
Two examples of customization:
Ecommerce: Converse allows shoppers to choose the color, shape, and star placement of their famous All-Star shoes.
SaaS: Slack lets users customize their setup with bots and integrations. Customization in SaaS also improves rentention—switching costs rise as users integrate other tools.
A lesser-known benefit: Customization generates valuable data. Take Converse. If people self-select one particular color or style more than the rest, Converse can use that data to create a core product line.
What did you think of this week's newsletter?
If you enjoyed this, please consider sharing with a friend. If a friend sent you this, get the next newsletter by signing up here.
Who's Demand Curve?
We’re on a mission to make it easier to start, build, and grow companies.
We share high-quality, vetted, and actionable growth content as we learn it from the top 1% of marketers. We democratize senior growth knowledge.
How we can help you grow:
- Read our free playbooks, blog articles, and teardowns—we break down the strategies and tactics that fast-growing startups use to grow.
- Enroll in the Growth Program, our marketing course that has helped 1,000+ founders get traction and scale revenue.
- Want to build an audience of buyers? Enroll in the Un-ignorable Challenge.
- Are you an ambitious startup/scaleup looking to grow? Our agency, Bell Curve, can be your strategic growth partner.
- Need to run ads? We’ve built the ads agency for startups.
- Looking for a growth freelancer or agency? We’ll match you with a vetted partner for free.
- Get your product in front of startup founders by sponsoring this newsletter.
See you next week.
— Neal & Justin, and the DC team.